Oversees and directs long-term electric transmission system planning Corporatewide and coordinates with other areas of the Organization to ensure safe, reliable, power delivery to electric transmission customers in compliance of NERC, NPCC and ISO-NE reliability requirements. Responsible for hiring, coaching, mentoring and overseeing work of a large staff of professionals and hiring and developing new partnerships and leading several third-party resources.
Individual requires a strong understanding of the power system, system models, study practices and planning processes in different regions within US. Knowledge of wholesale electricity markets and rules and regulations of the governing national, regional and state regulatory agencies is required. Candidate should be well versed in past and current FERC orders that have shaped both the Transmission and wholesale market sectors. Overall responsibility for leading the development and full lifecycle execution of the Corporation’s Transmission Plan, including serving as an expert witness before state siting agencies and other forums. Also represents the company on various regional and national external technical committees.
- Directs the overall process to establish the need basis (e.g., reliability, economic, environmental) and timing of each Transmission project
- Coordinates the development of a long-term resource plan to address the Corporation and region’s bulk power system needs; works closely with ISO-NE to ensure the plan satisfactorily addresses any ISO concerns
- Oversees the timely and accurate completion of technical studies (e.g., load flows, stability studies, and transient network analysis) to support reliability and siting
- Directs the development of various regulatory filings, including those seeking Section I.3.9 technical approvals and 12C cost allocation reviews
- Ensures a well-coordinated Corporate review of the design of all facilities that connect to our transmission system, including ratings, protection, metering, control, etc.
- Provides critical testimony for siting and cost allocation proceedings and serves as a key contact person for public open houses held during the siting process
- Ensures system planning efforts have a strong focus on operational needs and are well coordinated with Operations and Engineering
- Oversees the development and management of labor, expense, and capital budgets for Transmission System Planning
- Corporate representative on NEPOOL, NPCC, NERC, and industry committees
- Directs a staff of managerial and professional company employees and oversees an equivalent number of external resources used to conduct planning studies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, required, an advanced degree MSEE or MBA preferred
- 15+ years of electric utility industry experience in engineering, operations or system planning with strong background in power systems and demonstrated success leading technical teams, required
- Professional Engineer’s License preferred
- Requires thorough knowledge in electric transmission and substation planning, operations support, budgeting, project analysis and the ability to work cross-functionally
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), strong interpersonal and leadership skills
Fortune 500 diversified energy services firm (electric utility / gas utility) that has been providing energy products and services throughout the northeast United States for 100 years
Director, Transmission Planning, Electric Utility - 2290m
Visit our website for more details www.mriheadhunter.com
This position is being offered through Management Recruiters of Bonita Springs, Inc., who proudly supports Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employment. We are committed to workforce diversity. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply. Unable to sponsor or transfer H1 visas at this time.